Consent Orders & Agreements

If parents cannot agree about the arrangements for their children, the Family Court will make parenting orders formalising their parental responsibilities.

If you and your former spouse or partner agree about the arrangements for your children, you may wish to make the agreement legally binding by asking the Family Court to make Consent Orders.

If both parents are unable to reach an agreement in respect of the arrangements for the children, you may not be able to commence proceedings in the Family Court unless you first attend mediation with a Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner. There are exceptions to this rule that our office can discuss with you.

Every situation is unique so to help ensure your child receives the best outcome they deserve, you should seek prompt legal advice. Our office can:

  • Advise on how to make your agreement legally binding should you agree about the arrangements for the children;
  • Explain whether consent orders, parenting orders and parenting plans apply or are appropriate for your particular circumstances;
  • Help mediate and resolve any disputes should you not agree about the arrangements for your children; and
  • Make any court appearances, where relevant.

Our office can also provide advice to the sensitive and serious issues child abuse and domestic violence.

If you are looking to speak to a family lawyer in Perth about obtaining Consent Orders or documenting consent agreements, please contact our office to speak to one of our experienced solicitors.