Our Perth Lawyers Can Help Guide You Through Your Same-Sex Relationship Issues

We fight for your legal rights more! Balmoral Legal can provide professional advice and assistance in all legal matters related to same-sex relationships. Disputes over property, maintenance and children can be devastating, but we offer full support and guidance to help you resolve the matter in the least painful way. Let us advise and represent you! Call us to get a free consultation, and we’ll help you move on from there.


Family Lawyers Will Assist You to Resolve Your Same-Sex Relationship Problem

If you are over the age of 18 and live together in a ‘marriage-like’ way, then your relationship may be recognised as a ‘de facto relationship’. This includes same-sex couples.

The family law process in Western Australia now enables most couples in same-sex relationships to access an equivalent range of solutions in the Family Court in respect to financial matters to those presently available to married and de facto couples.

When separating from a de facto partner, a common problem is how to divide the assets accumulated during the relationship. In Western Australia, the law for de facto asset division is similar to that of married couples, except in respect of superannuation.

Formalising the division of assets is achieved by way of Consent Orders, Orders of the Family Court or by a binding financial agreement.

same sex separation lawyers perth

Get Your First 15 Minutes Of Advice FREE

We offer a FREE initial 15 minutes of legal advice over the phone to find out more about your issue and discuss the optimal way that we may be able to assist you. Give us a call on 08 9355 0776 or contact us today.

Same Sex Couple
perth same sex divorce lawyer


What Our Lawyers Can Do for You

In order to start proceedings for property settlement, you must be able to show that:

  • You have been in a de facto relationship for at least two years; or
  • There is a child to the relationship under 18 years, and failure to make a property settlement order would cause serious injustice to the person caring for the child; or
  • The person applying for the order made substantial financial and/or non-financial contributions to the relationship and failure to make a property settlement order would cause serious injustice to that person.


  • One or both of the parties to the application must be resident in Western Australia the day the application is made; or
  • Both parties must reside in Western Australia for one-third of their relationship or made substantial contributions to property in this State.

Any application for property settlement must be made no later than 2 years after the date of your separation.

On 9 December 2017, amendments to the Marriage Act 1961 came into effect to change the definition of ‘marriage’. The definition of marriage became gender-neutral, being ‘the union of 2 people to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life’. As a result of the amendments, same-sex couples are now able to be married (and have their marriage recognised) in Australia.

When going through a relationship breakdown, it is important to obtain comprehensive legal advice in respect of your entitlements and responsibilities. Balmoral Legal is here to help, so contact our office on (08) 9355 0776 to discuss your matter with one of our solicitors.